Dr. Andrew Weil is the father of integrative medicine. In this interview, him and Ronan discuss the power of forgiveness, our connection between mind and body, and how psychedelics impacted his medical philosophy.
As a student in the 1960s, Dr. Weil had front row seats to the work that Timothy Leary and Ram Dass were doing with psychedelics at Harvard University. And some of his academic and journalistic work at the time would forever change the course of their lives.
Dr. Weil believes consciousness is the fundamental reality of the universe: animals, plants, and rocks are all alive – we all exchange energy – and psychedelics can help you connect with them. Then, Dr. Weil tells us what it’s like to pet a bumblebee on a trip -- and why you may want to try it for yourself. The story of his life is insightful, impactful, and textured. In this podcast, listeners benefit from the wisdom that one of the best doctors in the world has to offer.
In this episode we discuss:
- Weil has learned that forgiveness is something you do for yourself – not the other person. The human organism is capable of healing itself, and people should have more confidence in their own healing abilities.
- Psychedelics are a safe compound and with proper set and setting can change the course of physical ailments and emotional blockages – and set the conditions to heal. Psychedelics can provide spiritual experiences, treat PTSD, and aid treatment-resistant depression.
- Weil believes there is no separation between mind and body – what we have inside our head affects what’s outside our head – and in a psychedelic state – we see the external world transform. We have the tools to change inside and out.
- Integrative medicine looks at all the dimensions of human life to understand health and illness and it is becoming mainstream – propelled by economics and new approaches for the future.
- There is lots you can do right now for healthy aging and Dr. Weil’s advice is to maintain physical activity (suited to life stage) and healthy social connections (personal and community).
- During a pandemic – it’s amazing think about how most of us are mostly healthy most of the time. And farther out – Dr. Weil believes that the resurgence of psychedelics could be the counter-balancing factor that can bring about the transformation in consciousness that is necessary for the transformation of society.